I'd like the panel to discuss ...

FDA attempts to ban Electronic Cigarettes

http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA_Legislative_Packet_Regarding_Indoor_Bans_Web.pdf According to the FDA it would be safer for me to resume smoking cigarettes than using an unapproved nicotine delivery system.http://www.casaa.org/files/WLF%20amicus%20brief%20Ct.App..pdf http://www.casaa.org/resources/documents.asp

7,613 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ScottScott shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1152 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have smoked since I was 12 years old, with no chance of quitting anytime soon. I am now 33 years old. I am starting to feel the effects of long term smoking on my health. I have COPD, and can no longer feel a deep breath. Also there are hard spots in my throat. Even with these issues I have a hard time quitting. Even though I want to quit so badly, the truth is I also just love to smoke. It is a pass time for me, a comfort, and a friend that is always there.

I first tried E-cigs a few years ago and it took a lot less effort to move to E-cigs than it did to try and quit. Now I still smoke cigarettes mostly because everyone around me smokes, my parents and friends. But I do not smoke anywhere near what I used to. I sleep better, breath better, and just feel better. I can smell things better, taste things better, and my skin feels better. To me the bad E-cigs are the ones made in places over seas where the regulations are not as strict as Americas but I use an American made one.

The real issue with these E-cigs isn't their health issues, compared to regular cigarettes it is no contest. The issues is actually the tax the government is loseing. In America regular cigarettes are heavily taxed, most places charge $7-$10 per pack with most of that being tax. With millions of smokers in America that average 1-2 packs a day, that brought in a huge revenue. A revenue that is now missing due to people all over quitting.

As for other avenues of quitting, the gum has never worked, I am allergic to the patches, and losenges never worked either. America has something called common law, this states that if it isnt forbidden it is then allowed, nothing in these E-cigs is forbidden. It is sad when our government limits our freedoms by spreading fear, it is also sad that the dollar is placed above human life, we need a new government because they no longer serve us.

• Robert NoSpamRobert NoSpam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was a 38 year 2 pack a day smoker. Plus a can or 2 of chew a week and a good weekly Honduran cigar (or two).
        I tried it all, with patches I nearly poisoned my old arse just with a ONE cigar!
        Figured the 1st failure at hypnosis was enough, nope, better half dragged me in a second time to not only fail, but they doped me up to boot!
        A least I got the guarantee and my money back the 1st time, under a grand I think, but the wifey is out 18 hundred!
        If I cut down to 1 PAD, my blood pressure would rise 1st, then the dangerously high cholesterol levels would freak out my Doctor and family.
        Hey, I tried; my Doc told me I'll be on the meds until I change or just keep smoking and be dead in 5 years easy.
        Less than 3 years ago I tried one of those disposable e-cigs that where pre-filled. The taste was horrid, took a drag from the Chinese filled disposible cartomizer and had to INHALE a stogie just to get the taste out of my mouth!
        Really wish I would have studied up on "Vaping" back then!
        Thanks to the infomation on E-Cigartee-forum and other sites, I educated myself and bought a "real" starter kit and high dose of nicotine (36ml strenght). At almost 52 years of age, on the end of July with kit in hand, I have been tobacco free since August 3rd!
        Last week I made it through work on 18ml of nicotine.
        To a non smoker, that would sound like trading one bad habit for another.
        I told all this to my Doc, he also becoming a believer!
        Not as happy as the family, but I'll be off the high blood pressure meds by next month thanks to having the energy (and lung capacity) to get back to mountain biking and jogging!
        The change in me has been amazing, I feel like a kid again.
        More importantly, I've change my diet and I'm not craving junk food to substitute an oral fixation.

Unfortunately, my best friend and co-worker smokes and he just plain stinks!
        I ordered him a kit and some menthol flavoring, I'll bet he'll be stink free before the end of the month!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If these things are illegalized whoever made that move is stupid they are helping people every where quit including myself and are better for the enviroment and the person using them if anything should be made illegal it is cigarrettes them selves

• Ilex LibertatisIlex Libertatis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The value in e-cigs is clear. You, American Spirit, got me onto them, and I've now been a non-smoker for three months and couldn't be happier. Whoever wants to stop the e-cig movement, we will just have to fight... Just as we have done to retain every other freedom with which we were endowed.

• American SpiritAmerican Spirit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The FDA approves the level of toxicity to which we're allowed to be subjected. A product which substitutes for, or which lowers that level, is verboten. The FDA are not funded by health-related products. They are funded by manufacturers of poison, and their sole purpose is to defend poison manufacturers. This is their reason for being. This is who pays them for their existence: manufacturers of toxins.

Organic lettuce and carrot growers and natural raw milk producers don't pay them. Creators of toxic pills and "therapies" pay them. The tobacco industry pays them. Is it any wonder the FDA stands four-square against non-carcinagenic smoking alternatives from which they derive no revenue? If you're healthier, they might lose their jobs.

Have a heart. They're people too, just trying to make living off you and your loved ones dying. (And a fairly good one, at that, compared to the average citizen, many of whom went and got themselves addicted to nicotine pre-birth and after, with copious sidestream smoke; how dumb could you be? Must be your fault.)

PS: Many of these people smoke, the FDA and the American Cancer Society. Go figure. I don't, anymore, vapers don't "smoke." They utilize nicotine in vapor form, without tar and carcinogenic additives.

But these people, the FDA and ACS, want to criminalize vaping "because it looks like smoking." Whuff.

It. Is. Not. Smoking. Smoking involves burning, vaping doesn't. No carbon monoxide, no unknown chemicals.

What's it going to take to get that through their thick heads? We're not smoking, we're paying money (a lot less than we were) to NOT smoke.

I know the authorities have said it's not been "tested" (like all the stuff we keep seeing on TV where you may be eligible for a class-action recovery for the death of a loved one) but, get serious.

A product which eliminates 4000 chemicals, at least 40 of them known carcinogens and the combination of them unkown? Versus five GRAS approved ingredients? Seriously.

PS: "GRAS" means generally regarded as safe: by the FDA. Don't you feel comforted by our federal Food and Drug Administration, who are now telling us they were wrong...again. Kitchen flavorings, USP glycol and glycerine (theater fog and cupcake mix) , distilled water, citric acid, and nicotine, haven't been sufficiently tested.

The FDA will tell you in twenty years if it's okay to quit cigarettes with vaporettes, try the patch or an expensive pill (I did, they didn't work).

I tried cold turkey, vegetable cigarettes, name it. I tried vaping for 45 seconds and quit a 45-year habit. Maybe I was lucky, the right flavor at the right dosage, at the right time I opened the package in the mail. Whatever.

I've been through five or six generations of e-cigs and flavors (cost me far less than cigarettes), haven't lit up in two-and-a-half years.

My lungs have come back, my energy's come back. Screw the FDA.

• shaneshane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tobacco taxes....pharma nicotine cessation products, these people are fighting the future. there stuff is OBSOLETE and at this point both anti tobacco and government revenue are fighting e cigs because of that very reason. its our freedom at stake here to choose the best product not choose the best product because its FDA approved.

• American SpiritAmerican Spirit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a show has been done, why was I not notified? I'm a major supporter, here. If a show has not been done, why not?

We've posted many reasons for this being a hot topic, the contributor numbers have been huge. Is this, perhaps, why the FDA has backed off a bit? Fear of exposure?

I don't know the impact of this show, or who controls it. Of course the tobacco lobbies are fighting electronic cigarettes, and the FDA and ATF and ACS and who knows who else is as well. If the majority of tobacco enthusiasts switched to vapor tomorrow there would be people with guns at our doors as if we'd switched to marijuana or crack.

Has the show backed off because there's been no recent government activity, because pressure from vested interests, or because we're considered tinfoil wingnut Ron Paul flying saucer supporters?

Actually I believe in Ron Paul and flying saucers, I also believe I haven't touched a cigarette in 2.5 years (after over four decades of failing at quitting smoking, haven't looked back). And I'm sleeping like a baby, climbing in the SW desert mountains at 62, with my wind back.

That's news. We've quite possibly conquered one of the biggest cancer-causing scourges of the past two centuries, it's news. The government and cancer agencies have tried to shut us depraved users down. I'd suggest that's possible news.

It may also be news that the FDA is partially funded by big tobacco money. Now, I don't get a connection here, someone help me out with this.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cigarette and tobacco companies are lobbying to get rid of electronic cigarettes. This is not the government's doing. The government in Washington only responds to whoever is throwing the most money at them. In this case, people who manufacture real cigarettes.
        Why? Because, as soon as a product like that gets successful, people will stop buying real cigarettes which means bankruptcy those who manufacture tobacco products.

• Geo S.Geo S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

45yrs. of coffin-nailing...2 mo. e-vaping....health improving every day.
        Fed
        Dough
        Accumulator

The Gov. Clowns are getting 'greased' real well.

• Linda TaylorLinda Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too have quit smoking with e-cigs. The government needs to stay out of our personal business. I'm a member of casaa also. There are no additives in the liquid we use now. Could the FDA say that about all the processed foods that line the store shelves. e-cigs or vaping as we call it, hurts no one.

• J VanderveenJ Vanderveen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 37 Years of smoking cigarettes I finally find something that actually works. Now the Government wants to take it away from me and go back to smoking.

• AnthonyAnthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

iwas able to kick a 25 year habit with an e-cig on the first try......i wish the politicians would stay out of our buisness

• Hank LohmanHank Lohman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame politics gets involved with something like ecigs that are helping so many get off tobacco. Tax revenue from tobacco is tremendous.....lobbying dollars from big tobacco is also tremendous. The FDA and tobacco companies will do all they can to limit ecig use. Maybe a large class action suit is needed.

• CharleneCharlene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been smoke free for 8 days now. I can feel the difference in my chest. I have tried other things, but suffered awful side effects. Chantix, nicotine patches, gum, Wellbutrin, to name a few. Cold turkey even. Nothing has worked like E-cigs. I am sorry the FDA is trying to ban these. Finally something like this comes along, gives many a new start in life and the FDA thinks differently. I have to wonder why? They really need to do some more investigating, they need to hear some stories of how e-cigs have given back to so many people.

• mafigmafig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

banned all brands of analog FDA but not e-cig..its my life saver after 30+yrs of smoking anologs..U know it make sense

• mafigmafig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

banned all brands of analogs FDA but not e-cig..its my life saver after 30+ yrs smoking analogs

• Jay WhiteJay White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remember: Politics,Politics...FDA, Phillip Morris, Reynolds America all have their hands dipping in the same cookie jar. It doesn't matter about our well-being, it matters how much money they can make. IMHO, the US gov & FDA (largest organized crime unit of the world) will ban the current e-cigs on the market coming from China, and the tobacco big wigs will produce their own version to where theirs will be the only one's legal to purchase and consume statewide.
        BTW, these E-Cigs are a godsend, wish they come out years ago.

• M. HartingM. Harting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've smoked for 30 years, got my e-cig 23 days ago and have only been smoking 3-5 analogs a day compared to 1- 1 1/2 packs a day before. Check out all the testimonials on Smoke Tips.com which will show proof of the success rate of e-cigs. They are a godsend. If this product had been around 30 years ago, my Mom might not have died from smoking. She had emphysema and copd. My father in law had died of cancer. both smoked all their lives. I might be too late to save myself from that fate but I will at least stop smoking while I have a few years left to watch my kids and grandkids grow up.I feel 100% better than I did a month ago. I can actually breathe and run with my 6 1/2 year old son without getting winded in 1 minute. I think a segment should be done on the health benefits of e-cigs. They are a miracle and should be accepted as an alternative to smoking. They sure helped me where nothing else has ever worked. I refuse to take pills that could give me negative side effects even if the FDA thinks they're okay. They apparently don't know what is healthy and what isn't.

• JuanitaJuanita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use an e-cig now and I am so much healthier than I was when I smoked
        tobacco cigs. I am 58 and I had smoked tobacco cigs for 42 years, rolled my
        own, never used a filter.

I had tried to quit many times, cold turkey, patches, gum, hypnotherapy, and
        acupuncture. ... all unsuccessful. Then Mother got very sick after her
        open-heart surgery, and we had oxygen in the house. All 3 of us knew we had
        to quit.

We obtained e-cigs. I put down tobacco the day my e-cig arrived, and I have
        not looked back. I did not get jittery, nervous, or short-tempered, as I
        had in my prior attempts to stop smoking. I did not gain wait. I got
        healthier.

My taste and sense of smell returned really fast. I can walk up 2 flights
        of stairs now, instead of just 1 flight when I was smoking. (Not bad for a
        58 year old grandma) I no longer need medication for high blood pressure.
        I do not get winded playing tag with my grandson for 20 min. These are all
        minor miracles for me!

I have people tell me all the time now that I look and act younger, and I
        attribute this to e-cigs. I feel BETTER.
        Yes, they have nicotine. ...but they do not have as much as smoking a
        tobacco cigarette. And they do not have the other carcinogens that tobacco
        has, no tar, no carbon monoxide, no 2nd hand smoke. They also do not have
        the other thousands of compounds that are in combustible cigarettes.

Guess what else I found out, and this is true of just about every vapor that
        I have met, I do NOT like the taste of tobacco. Yes, I am addicted to the
        nicotine, but I deplore the taste of tobacco. I do like the taste of
        vanilla ice cream or almond joy bars or bubblegum. One does not have to be
        a child or a teenager to enjoy fun flavors.

With the average starting price of $50 for a pair of e-cigs, I do not think
        that they are being targeted to teenagers or children. The vapors that I
        know are all around my age, perhaps as young as 40.

Some smokers are able to quit using one method or another, but some of us
        have tried everything to no avail.

Why are you trying to ban them, while allowing much more dangerous items to
        be sold in drug stores, grocery stores, convenience, and liquor stores all
        over the country?

Why is the FDA confiscating e-cigs at customs? They have done so much good
        for my health!

• BettyB. BettyB. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I smoked since 95 , and just got and e-cig jan 27 , and haven't picked up an analog since ! I don't have the smokers smell on me anymore , I am starting to breath better, and no more cough ! I have tried to quit cold turkey,the patch which is just another nicotine thing, med's , everything just about . Thanks for the e-cig ! and its nice not to have to go outside anymore to smoke ! and fda,and the big pharma , is more concerned with money than the health of the people. this is supposed to be America , I should be free to make my own choice .

← Previous 1 3 4 5 57 58

Feedback and Knowledge Base