I'd like the panel to discuss ...

eminent domain abuses G.A.G. in San Diego Ca

The city of San Diego is using Redevelopment to steal money from thethe people os Grantville. The Grantville Action Group (GAG)is fighting back witha law suit. Dr Petersen is leading GAG. Contact him at Friarsroadvet@sbcglobal.net or Grantvilleactiongroup.com

237 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Linda J. WilsonLinda J. Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is scary that such an assault to our basic freedom is flying under the radar. People all over the country are being victimized, yet there is very little coverage. The city governments purposely target small patches of property (usually small businesses) to keep their abuses out of the headlines. We need the media to alert people and to let them know how to fight and win against this tyranny.

• DonnaDonna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The definition of eminent domain is "the power of the state to take private property for public use with payment of compensation to the owner" from dictionary.reference.com. I assume the state of California has delegated this power to each city and county legally. I have to admit that my grandmother's farm in Illinois was supposedly in the path of a planned interstate. One of her heirs held out for more than 20 years, because she didn't feel the state was offering appropriate compensation. Granted, my aunt did not live on the property, but she did conduct the farm's business on the property. I don't know if many Grantville businesses and residents are willing to put their lives in limbo for 20 years.

• Julie CorwinJulie Corwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Brian Peterson and everyone who is working so hard on this and other issues. For the most part, San Diego City government is slanted in favor of big developers and large land owners beyond what is reasonable. We can't give up the good fight though, even if we often feel as if we are banging our heads against the wall!

• larry92108larry92108 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who don't know, the City of San Diego is trying to take private property in a good business area and give it to the cronies of termed out Councilman Jim Madaffer to make millions building condos. The result will be increased traffic, pollution, higher demand for energy, and a decreased quality of life.
        YOUR PLACE COULD BE NEXT!

• PatriciaPatricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we who live here, drive thru here every day etc have no say in how the money is spent (or taken away from us) and apparently have no rights of appeal or discussion with redevelopemnt and now have to pay for legal representation to make "our" neighborhood all that it can be!

• LYNN MULHOLLANDLYNN MULHOLLAND commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is telling when the City wants to take tax revenue of one Community for use in another Community. It is further compounded when the City, again, wants to transfer said revenue to the County. Televising the trial in opposition to the hopscotch will disclose the indifference of the City to citizens.

• CynthiaCynthia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello All,

Tomorrow at City Council, the Redevelopment Agency (RA), (2pm, Items 333 & 334) is going to Announce that 'Areas OUTSIDE of the Redevelopment Area', WILL be 'Eligible for Redevelopment Property Tax Increment Funding' to Develop "MID-LEVEL INCOME HOUSING'!! That is 'under 100% of AML Incomes'...so are your 'average incomes' around $100K? So, your 'new neighbors' in Dense Housing, (with little infrastructure put in to accomodate them, most likely) will be getting your Comm'l & resdiental RA Property Taxes to 'pay for their subsidized housing?' ie. around USD? SDSU? Who has been Bugging Every area Around them for "Teacher and STAFF" housing?? What it Will be is MORE DENSITY..Through Planning with the SD Housing Commission, (& prior City high level Employees, now working through "Non-Profits"), getting get LAND-cheap-around CLOSED Public SCHOOLS as well as the 'Trade of School Land' for New, "Affordable Housing" (as Fred Schnaubelt asked, "the same folks who determined the "COST of Affordable Housing to be $400,000. PER UNIT to BUILD?"-Yes, that's what we heard on the former Gov't Affairs Committee with SD Assoc. of REALTORS! Ludicrously FRAUDULENT!)
        So, they're planning, in Grantville, like in Linda Vista, by 'Giving Away the SKATEWORLD Site' (the only indoor skating rink Left in town & owned by the RA, and making a Profit for the RA), to a "$100K in-Debt Non-Profit, with a recent 33% Budget Cut", in 'partnership' with an LLC, a Developer & Silent Partner(?), who's done this again, and again, for PRIVATE PROFIT, to Put in 'High Density Affordable-Mid Level Housing'??? Who knows of areas around Grantville or Allied Gardens that have been 'looked at' by certain 'Institutions' for "needed staff housing?"

• eleighseleighs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I live about a mile outside Grantville, so I use vendors there quite often, It is not blighted, and the City of San Diego is using eminent domain to redevelope the area for special interests. This is the perfect eminent domain story for The Judge to use on Freedom Watch. If the city is successful, no spot in this country is safe.

• Tony Merlino Tony Merlino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AND . . Incredibly . . .the exact same thing is happening again in Camden, NJ only this time it's Campbells Soup bribing the City of Camden to take private property from one individual and deliver it into the hands of another "for profit" company. The Kelo decision may be one of the worst decisisions ever handed down by the Supreme Court and don't think for one minute that this decision does not effect you! You could very well be next no matter where you live in this "fair" land.

Does anyone remember the Kelo vs New London case? I remember how outraged people across this country were when the US Supreme Court upheld the Connecticut State Supreme Court decision in favor of the city of New London. This was also a case of eminent domain abuse: New London wanted the land to appease Pfizer Pharmaceutical Co., which had proposed a research lab in New London. The seized properties would be used for an office building, parking and residential buildings for the employees of Pfizer. What seems to go under the radar of all those involved in the decision is that the "economic" redevelopment would bring x number of new paying jobs to New London, ostensibly to employ some out of work current residents. So you remove these folks from their homes, give their land to some one else and know that tax increments will increase. Where did the original owners go??? They leave the area, even though Pfizer was bringing new jobs when their facilities were completed. Was Pfizer really bringing new jobs or were they importing new people to the area and guaranteed a tax abatement? Kind of like Gateway and a slew of other businesses did in San Diego? And guess what? After New London won the US Supreme Court case and bulldozed that area, Pfizer built nothing and changed the location of the facilities. Needless to say, the tax abatement period in New London had expired by that time.

We don't want the same thing to happen in Grantville. Promises not kept. Insider trading in the form of a bribe between the SD City Council and SD County Board of Supervisors. By the time this all settles, the tax abatement period will have ended, the the city council members who initiated this will have moved on, people who lease in the mobile home park will have died or taken a lesser amount for their home and businesses already in the area will have taken a hit because they can't plan long range.

I ask myself why I would buy a home of any kind when I know that the "government" can take that away from me at any time and the decision of value is beyond my control. Oh! Isn't that what already happened in downtown San Diego?

• bslope2bslope2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an issue that will affect everyone that owns property in this country at some point in time in their life. Greedy people with deep pockets highjack local elections to plant elected officials to rip off those who they are charged to protect. San Diego with its “independent “redevelopment agencies is one of the worst abusers of this trust. It’s a dirty little secret that the legal system ignores.

• Brian T. Peterson, DVMBrian T. Peterson, DVM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Grantville Action Group – GAG – stands for property rights by fighting for redevelopment reform and Eminent Domain reform in the City of San Diego. The Grantville redevelopment project area was established by illegal collusion between the City of San Diego and the County of San Diego, whereby over $31 million of Grantville’s property tax will leave our community to fund improvements at the County Administration Building in downtown San Diego. GAG filed a lawsuit, which is to be heard in October, to challenge the City and County agreement. By upholding California redevelopment law, GAG will stop the money transfer. Without the money transfer, the City and the County may end their agreement to redevelop Grantville, and without redevelopment, there will be no Eminent Domain. Freedom-loving patriots may support our cause for property rights and for the rule of law by donating to the GAG legal fund at www.GrantvilleActionGroup.com. Brian T. Peterson, DVM; GAG, CEO

• Linda J. WilsonLinda J. Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish this would get nationwide attention. Eminent domain abuse allowing the government to take your property on a whim is a vulgar and corrupt abuse of power that can happen to almost anyone anywhere. Grantville is a prime example of this abuse and the related drain on the general fund which has contributed to the sorry financial condition of San Diego. The good news is that the average citizens are fighting back through the Grantville Action Group and it's lawsuit, which goes to trial in October 2010.

• Sue's NewsSue's News commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Redevelopment causes a tremendous losses of property tax revenue - the counties, libraries, schools, water districts and even the general funds of cities that are involved. The tax increment for each local district is smaller and the counties receive funds to operate government, etc. With redevelopment, all that changes, and the lion's share of the property tax revenue is paid into the redevelopment district, with small amounts being given to all of the others. It is too bad when an idea is abused so much that it actually hurts everyone (except the profiteers in redevelopment.) The Grantville story is so shocking in that everyone in their area does not want redevelopment, and the money that will be gained (after being "redistributed") wiii be going to other areas, way outside their own - which is NOT the purpose of redevelopment. There are other ways to improve areas, without running businesses and homeowners out, which is exactly what redevelopment will do. The "bosses" of redevelopment turn a blind eye to property rights and the rights of the people. The folks in Grantville have done a super job with publicity and education. When one compares what was done with the Platinum Triangle in Anaheim, California (without redevelopment), we all need to be better educated when the cities put forward the redevelopment idea - we just plain do not know how dangerous it is for al of us - not to mention the increases in taxes ! Kudos to those at the Grantville Action Group ! I could only wish they were in our city - as redevelopment has taken over almost entirely.

This has already had a huge impact on Grantville and Allied Garden. No one wants to invest in an area whose future is uncertain. Many residents don't like the idea that approximately 1/2 of the tax increment will be shifted to the downtown area, simply because there is a trolley that links the two areas. The County Board stated that Grantville was not a blighted area, until the City Council bribed them with $31M. What does that tell us about San Diego politics?

Feedback and Knowledge Base