I'd like the panel to discuss ...

I would like you to discuss with Charles Rangel his thoughts one the passage of the hughes amendment

As debate for FOPA was in its final stages in the House before moving on to the Senate, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed several amendments including House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332 [4] that would ban a civilian from ownership or transfer rights of any fully automatic weapon which was not registered as of May 19, 1986. The amendment also held that any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff date could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.
In the morning hours of April 10, 1986, the House held recorded votes on three amendments to FOPA in Record Vote No's 72, 73, and 74. Recorded Vote 72 was on H.AMDT. 776, an amendment to H.AMDT 770 involving the interstate sale of handguns; while Recorded Vote 74 was on H.AMDT 770, involving primarily the easing of interstate sales and the safe passage provision. Recorded Vote 74 was the controversial Hughes Amendment that called for the banning of machine guns. Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), at the time presiding as Chairman over the proceedings, claimed that the "amendment in the nature of a substitute, as amended, was agreed to." However, after the voice vote on the Hughes Amendment, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) ignored a plea to take a recorded vote and moved on to Recorded Vote 74 where the Hughes Amendment failed.[5][6] The bill, H.R. 4332, as a whole passed in Record Vote No: 75 on a motion to recommit. Despite the controversial amendment, the Senate, in S.B. 49, adopted H.R. 4332 as an amendment to the final bill. The bill was subsequently passed and signed on May 19, 1986 by President Ronald Reagan to become Public Law 99-308, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JesseJesse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JaredJared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it's gone too long without ever being challenged or questioned, we can't let Charles rangel think he can just get away with anything

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see someone influentian address this as well. It would be interestng to see what turns up. I'm a little young to remember when it passed (I was only 5) but everything I've read about it seems to show unconstitutional corruption. Its suprises me that no body has ever challenged it.

I would love to see someone influentian address this as well. It would be interestng to see what turns up. I'm a little young to remember when it passed (I was only 5) but everything I've read about it seems to show unconstitutional corruption. Its suprises me that no body has ever challenged it.

• WilliamWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more on this one. The Hughes amendment is one of the most infamous encroachments on our liberty, it was "passed" outside of congressional rules, it is unconstitutional, and there was no reason behind it. Virtually no crimes have ever been committed in the United States with legally registered machine guns, but big government won't let me have one.

Feedback and Knowledge Base