I'd like the panel to discuss ...

How about an episode about the failures of the War on Drugs?

Talk about the problems with drug prohibition and the benefits of legalization. Recommended guests: Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, John Stossel, and a member from Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

1,052 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rusty SteversonRusty Steverson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm all for keeping kids off drugs. What I am not all for is the Office of Drug Control Policy spending billions (with a "b") on a propaganda campaign to scare people into throwing away their right to their own bodies. Money that could be used elsewhere. Shortening the reach of "Big Brother" a bit as well.

Prohibition never works. Especially with marijuana. It was lies and propaganda that made it illegal and the same is keeping it illegal. Watch "Reefer Madness" sometime. I've never known anyone who acted that way while high on pot. If you write the office of drug control policy about information on marijuana they still send copies of that film. It's ridiculous.

I say legalize it all and tax it. We'll have a spike in use for about 2 years. Anyone who is going to be stupid enough to overdose on any of it will do so. Then we'll have a decline in use and only the responsible adults who can handle it will continue to use it. We'll do away with the black market mentality, the rebellious reasons for using, and the "gateway drug" argument. We live in a capitalist society. Let capitalism sort it out.

• charliecharlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, honoring work ethic and the pursuit of bettering oneself are honorable and recommended pursuits. However, regardless of whether someone's victimless behavior offends you, everyone's first principal should be allowing liberty for one another if there are no other victims. That is what our country is founded upon...FREEDOM. Legalization proves to lower abuse and ends this crazy and ineffective war on drugs.

• thebonobozthebonoboz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Winghunter
        "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Legalizing pot would be society condoning stupidity & laziness which is the opposite of our principles.
        @Winghunter: and the alcohol commercials that come on during prime time television are good? alcohol is addictive, causes violence, & social problems. oh, bit it's "legal"? it didn't used to be... when this country was founded, there were no "illegal drugs".

• thebonobozthebonoboz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

State forfeiture law allows police and prosecutors to seize "suspicious" assets whether or not the owner has been convicted of a crime, and The Star investigation last year revealed that the money effectively served as a slush fund in some counties. One police department was spending the money without the county council's permission. Another was seizing cash from motorists under agreements signed on the side of the road -- without entering a courtroom.

• Jack BabbJack Babb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A war is an armed conflict between the armies of two nations. We have never fought a "war" on drugs, therefore have not lost what was never fought. The only reasonable course of action at this point is an absolute zero tolerance policy on drug use of any kind, by every facet of our government and private industry, and education system. Anyone that uses any drugs, or believes in legalization of any drug is a moral contributor to serial murder, serial child abuse, and you are a coward. World War II veterans did not sacrifice so you cowards can destroy this country, by turning their families into drug sucking sociopaths. You should not vote for any politician that does not publicly state a zero tolerance policy on drugs, and live up to it in his or her daily actions. I defy you to read in total the proposed Law written by Ca. rep. Tom Amianno, keeping in mind that 1.9 children in Ca. are due child support, that Ca. and Ny. lead the nation in food stamps, and that 6 million grandparents are raising graindchildren; and show me one thing in that proposed law, that protects the most innocent of us, children. Left wind extremism in this country must be defeated, at all costs. If you want to raise tax money, stop spending billions on corrupt family courts, and drug programs, on the same people over and over again. Most of us in society are sick of thes dope suckers; and 34,000 Mexicans are dead because you Americans smoke dope. Nancy Pelosi and her scumbag friends protested the Vietnam war, where 58,000 brave American military members were killed; but none of you, her or the rotten scumbag unbathed college professors that started those riots, have the guts to speak out against all the damage your drug use use has done and continues to to do. Screw you people

• NanceeNancee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pres Obama has done nothing in Arizona or anywhere else to stop the drug cartels. Instead he had signs posted to keep American's out and off government lands so now the drug cartels have taken over. I want all of our country back. Obama is givings everything away, he needs to be stopped.

• NanceeNancee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pres Obama has done nothing in Arizona or anywhere else to stop the drug cartels. Instead he had signs posted to keep American's out and off government lands so now the drug cartels have taken over. I want all of our country back. Obama is givings everything away, he needs to be stopped.

• BronkBronk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Laws have the affect of creating lawlessness and it is incredible to think of the many different ways that the legal system along with the criminals benefit from making laws.
        Seldom however does the citizen feel any benefits from these same laws and it interesting that often it is the criminals who write the laws.

• JoanJoan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Montel, along with some people in the prescription drug industry. Always before the argument has been about as Winhunter stated "condoning stupidity & laziness". Well, obviously they have never been in extreme constant pain. Tell me sir/madam, have you ever taken a prescription pill?
        The doctors had me take some when I first got injured and I didn't even know my name, however they let me drive, no matter how much I was unable to function as a human being. Unfortunately, because of it being illegal in my state, I am denied the priviledge of being a functioning member of society. Most of my days are spent in bed or in constant pain. I do not understand how the people in DC, can have their MJ, however the people who are in pain in other states are forced to use the synthetic meds which will destroy us, or our orgins. By the way, Winghunter, you might try doing some research on the medical benefits of marijuana. Who knows you might (I pray not) have to have it one day, because that's the only thing that would give you relief from the pain!!!!!!!!!!!!....But then again, you might choose one of the meds with the side effect of SUICIDE!!!, YEP, and there doesn't seem to be an antidote for that, or lymphoma, etc, etc. all far more serious than the effects of MJ.
        How can the government give out MJ from University of Miss each month for medicine, What part of the constitution is it written that they decide the amount of pain that I am in or that they are in??? If the president would llove to do something nice, he might consider an executive order for medical order in all states.....just saying.....seems a little more important than letting some criminal out of jail scott free. Such a deal...helping all those people!!!!!!!

• WinghunterWinghunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Legalizing pot would be society condoning stupidity & laziness which is the opposite of our principles.

• JosephJoseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Matt Whitlock's comment. I think the judge should also do an interview with LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. I would personally like the judge to interview Capt. Peter Christ, but any speaker from LEAP will be just fine.

• LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another good guest for this show would be Daniel E. Williams, author of The Naked Truth About Drugs and host of The Opium Den Talk Show (www.theopiumden.net). I have heard him speak several times, and he has a lot of good points about the failure of the war on drugs.

• Matt WhitlockMatt Whitlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get LEAP on the show. I attended a presentation given by a LEAP founder (unfortunately, I've forgotten who it was) at the New Hampshire Liberty Forum in 2008, and I was amazed by the cogent and rational arguments he presented. I joined the organization as a concerned citizen immediately at the conclusion of the presentation. Get LEAP on the show; they're on our side and make a great case!

• David McDonoughDavid McDonough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes indeed, a war on drugs is just plain stupid. What the idea is really, is a war on drug users and that has not worked in the previous twenty years. So what would make it work in the near future? Nothing, so stop it!!!

• AaronLMillerAaronLMiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the stranger drug policies was America's decision to fight opium farmers in restructured Afghanistan. Opium is a key ingredient of many legal medicines, including morphine and codeine. So our move to eradicate opium fields instead of entice farmers to sell to legal buyers stinks of pharmaceutical lobbying.

Even a limited government seems to have a legitimate basis for drug regulation, since most illegal drugs would pose danger to non-users even if legalized.

• Homer SimpsonHomer Simpson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would very much like a Drug War episode. I'd suggest having Barry Copper (former drug interdiction officer) of NeverGetBusted as a guest.

I'd also like to see Ian and Mark from Free Talk Live. Those two guys do an excellent job at destroying every argument in favor of continuing the drug war.

• ShawnShawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many intelligent voices out here about the war on drugs, and in my humble opinion, if any one issue could end the war on liberty in nearly a fell swoop, it's this one.

• Joe BriggsJoe Briggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The War on Drugs has nothing to do with keeping dangerous substances out of our society - it is a blank check to the CIA for funding intervention, and to federal police agencies. It has increased violence, increased domestic drug dependency, and increased hostility towards the US.

Feedback and Knowledge Base