I'd like the panel to discuss ...

Internet sales tax vs. US Constitution?

What is the relevance of Article I Section 9 Clause 5 "No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State" to the current issue of collecting sales tax from out-of-state retailers on "internet" sales?

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • fishemanfisheman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! It does apply to states. Just because congress does something it does not mean it's constitutional. It Article 1 Section 9 says nothing about exports from a foreign country. It says any state!

• Nasty MacNabbyNasty MacNabby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a moot point anyways, due to AI,S10,C2 because the states may do so with the authority of Congress, with exception to recovering for expenses, and obviously if Congress passes such legislation then the states would have been given the authority. But yes imports and exports has more to do with duties and imposts.

Duties - A tax on the importation or exportation of goods.
        Imposts - A tax placed upon imported goods, merchandise, and products.

Both importation and exportation have to do with a foreign source. Now the Union states are considered foreign to each other, except for the purposes of the Constitution, meaning that what is prescribed therein effects the Union states without exception as a singularity.

• legistlegist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cited constitutional provision applies only to exports from a state to a foreign country; it doesn't apply to interstate shipments. See Dooley v. United States, 183 U.S. 151 (1901).

Feedback and Knowledge Base