I'd like the panel to discuss ...

Pete Eyre - Caged for Wearing a Hat

Handcuffed, dragged away through ice and snow and imprisoned just for wearing a hat? That’s a joke. That’s not possible. No cop is that foolish. But it is true. Pete Eyre was caged yesterday in Keene, New Hampshire for that very offense. Is it illegal to wear a hat in court? Tell that to the cop who wore his hat after Pete was arrested – and while court was actually in session. Say what you will, but people who peacefully wear hats do not deserve the abuse meted out to Pete as seen in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KK1wk7_QY

http://FreePete.org

701 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    George DonnellyGeorge Donnelly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jay MichaelJay Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a NH native living in Washington, DC I was embarrassed to learn of the unjust, trumped up charges used to jail an individual by Keene District Judge Burke. The saddest part is that the only major tv network and state's largest newspaper gave zero attention to the story. When authority figures make mistakes, or act rashly, and then are exposed why can't they just own up to it like adult men or women and set an example for a young generation instead offurther alientating them?

• Aaron Voluntaryist McDevittAaron Voluntaryist McDevitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Race: "He was a jerk and a smart ass to an officer of the court."

Thank God, someone has the balls to do it! These so called "officers" need to learn they are no more special than the rest of us.

• Aaron Voluntaryist McDevittAaron Voluntaryist McDevitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Race "there are policies and rules to obey."

Fuck policies and rules! Do you not get the main point of this? Who cares if its written in a special place by special people calling it a "rule"? Pete didn't threaten or hurt anyone by wearing a hat. The cop did. The cop is an agressor. Pete was the victim. Regardless of what so called "rules" your precious big-government has in place. Now, if you hate freedom so much, why is are you paying attention to freedomwatch?

• RaceRace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey whitehawk...the policeman's cap is part of his uniform and he's an officer of the court. He has the right to carry a gun too...perhaps this kid should go try that one out too < insert rolling eyes > Again, it's an open court, but there are policies and rules to obey. BTW....I'm surprised they let those with cameras be there. That's a big no no.

Watched the video again. He needs to not eat for a few weeks. Fatty.

Dude was jailed for being a smart ass and not obeying the dress code in a courtroom. There is a link to the rules you know.....

He was a jerk and a smart ass to an officer of the court. Cops don't have time to play around. He should have just walked out or taken off the hat. However, we all know he did this purposely. He resisted them as they tried to make him leave, so they cuffed him and gave him 60 days. Good.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until the sheeple of this country understand the U.S.Government is a corporation this kind of abuse and slavery will continue! Lets see if you got what it takes to tell the truth judge!

• whitehawkwhitehawk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not arrested either.
        He refused a lawyer because he hasn't done anything wrong. The photo shows a cop in the courtroom with a stocking cap on too. Must be OK for govt employees.

• deana mcalisterdeana mcalister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i recently heard that Pete is not eating there have been threats of hospitalization and feeding tubes. Starting to sound like the Women's suffrage. how long will they keep a man for a hat? the bailiff tried to snatch the hat from his head. He along with two officers threw a peaceful man down and treated him like a rabid dog in front of a courtroom full of witnesses. It looks like they targeted him for his political beliefs. The aggressors sent a strong message that they would all bow and do as they were told or they would get the same.

• Josh.0Josh.0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is another extreme example of the american gestapo eating the liberties of peaceful citizens!

• Sir-John BoylSir-John Boyl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THESE COPS AND THOSE THAT FACILITATED THIS ARREST MUST BE PROSECUTED FOR ABUSE OF POWER, UNLAWFUL ILLEGAL ARREST, ASSAULT, ETC ETC ETC.. THROW THE LAW BOOKS AT THEM ... I AM LIVID ... THIS IS AN ABHORRENT ABUSE OF POWERS BY THE SYSTEM.. WE AREN'T SLAVES, THERE IS NO ENFORCEABLE DRESS CODE ... I'M BITING MY TONG HERE SO AS NOT TO LASH OUT SWEARING... ARGHHHHH BULSHIT ABUSIVE
        POLICY

• AnnieAnnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to hear the Judge's take on this situation & give Pete an opportunity to get his story heard by more people.

• Michal CrockettMichal Crockett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going by what the judge said in the court proceedings when he was sentenced to, unless I heard wrong, 60 days house arrest? So perhaps he didn't use cuss words, interrupting court is still an offense. He shouldn't have said yes master, but he should have said, "is this against the rules?" and if they said yes, he should have taken it off.

Now I don't have a problem sticking it to the man, but if you know something is against the rules, like wearing a hat, interrupting court, disrespecting the court, etc.. and you want to break them anyway, that's fine, more power to you. However, just like Ghandi said, you must be willing to face the consequences. This was clearly done out of complete agitation and disrepesct for the laws. Perhaps the laws shouldn't be there, but the if you were willing to break them knowing they were wrong, you should be willing to face the consequences, not have your friends come on here and whine about how you were treated unjustly when you knew damn well exactly what was going to happen if you broke courtroom procedures and got held in contempt of court.

I've told cops to go F off tons of times, got the ticket, paid it, and went on my way. I didn't complain that I shouldn't have to pay it. I knew the law, I broke it, I paid the price, and I went and tried to change the law. Having done all this on film for the expressed purpose of agitating the police and then complaining when they did exactly what you wanted them to do (why else film?) is downright stupid. You're friend knew what he was getting himself into, he deserves the punishment he got because he knew exactly what was going to happen and did it anyway.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can anyone defend the cops in this situation? They went outside the realms of the law to arrest Pete.
        So you think it's good for your society to allow cops to be above the law? They already are, but your going to argue in favor of the cops to have no parameters at all when it comes to arresting people? That slippery slope can and will bite you back on the ass. Even if there was such a ridiculous law for wearing a hat in court. Do you think it should be an arrestable offense?
        When asked to take off his hat, should he have said, yes master, I'll do whatever I can, to respect the abuse of your authority.
        Doing what's right, regardless of the consequences, is heroic. Pete took a fall for those of us who believe in freedom/liberty.
        If I was ever in a similar situation, I would only hope that I'd have enough courage to do the same, rather then cower and obey, just to appease the masters, and make my life easier for the limited time being.

• Benjamin Grant BartholomewBenjamin Grant Bartholomew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Michal, you seem to be referring to Adem, who was brought to such an outburst because the court determined that his friend would be held indefinitely because we was wearing a hat.

• deana mcalisterdeana mcalister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Michal Crockiett Pete never used one single obscenity he was peaceful and non compliant the hat he wore on his noggin said don't tread on me. please re-watch the videos of all the events and if it doesn't make you angry or scare you to death imagine yourself in Pete's place or the place of his loved ones.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base