I'd like the panel to discuss ...

H.R. 1475 will "Increase Federal Good Time Allowances" reducing the federal prison population.

www.fedcure.org
There is no parole for federal offenses that occurred before November 1987. Many are serving 20 years or more for non-violent offenses. Just a 10% reduction of the federal prison population will save tax payers a minimum of $1.2 billion annually.

682 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sandy LaCourSandy LaCour shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mariannemarianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why are their so many people inside prison for long stretches sometimes life without parole for non violent offences, yet rapists and murderes seem to get out so easily

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support H.R. 1475. The laws a just to prejudice. Every person and crime is different so i feel that they need to be reconstructed. There are people doing 20 and over that did not deserve all of that time.

Please support H.R. 1475. The laws a just to prejudice. Every person and crime is different so i feel that they need to be reconstructed. There are people doing 20 and over that did not deserve all of that time.

• DebbieDebbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support hr 1475 in order to reduce the federal prison population and save tax payers billions of dollars.

They should start letting them out early or definately cut their time regardless!

It makes sense but would be used as a battering ram for those who support it. It'd be nice if this country came to its senses about so much of the criminal justice system.

• TammyTammy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that we need a change on non-violent crimes.I think if someone is a model prisoner that maybe serves 1 to 2 years should be released for good behavior and maybe be put on parole for the remaining time of their sentence.

• KellyKelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Non-violent offenders shouldn't be a drain on taxpayer money.

• JulieJulie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that the government needs to wake up and see that the people that they have locked up and sentences they have been given are to stiff for the crime. Yes, if you commit a crime you should do the time, but fifteen to twenty years with no way to get out even if you are a model prisoner, That is just wrong!

• Gina StephensonGina Stephenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that in almost all circumstances twenty years is a ridiculous amount of time for a non violent offense. And I agree the concept of not giving these people an opportunity to redeem themselves on parole seems inhumane!! And reducing the federal prison population to make room for violent offenders and saving the tax payers money is always a good thing!

• Sandra MeasimerSandra Measimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is long overdo! My son was entrapped so that another could go free...he is the drug addict and drug dealer not my son...but DEA let the real criminal go free.my son could've made the same deal "just set up anyone" but how is that right? he didn't take that deal so he's doing time with no chance of early release, no camps, and very far away from home. Costing us a fortune in phone, commissary etc. to stay in touch.

• brenda hoggardbrenda hoggard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i cant believe that to give anyone who has a non violent crime, more than five to ten years,depending on the crime, and to not offer parole is inhumain.while some violent crimes go virtually unpunished from early release.laws needs to be changed in state and federal. And this was changed in 1987? this is 2010!! let some non violent inmates go and make room for the more violent criminals of this day.After spending five years in prison,i would think you would have seen enough to want to go straight.Any longer and you get comfortable with it,and take chances when you do get out,(after all it wasnt that bad ).we dont need those who rape and murder and such on the streets,so dont put them in a holding pen because theres not enough room in the big house.please everyone VOTE YES for parole.

• Confused?Confused? commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't make sense why the federal government is giving all this time reduction for crack users?? A drug is a drug! It should go for any user whether it is for crack, cocaine, meth, marijuana, or heroin. They shouldn't just pick a certain drug!

• concerned concerned commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a no brainer for non violent offenders.Save the money we need it, and they need to get back to their families. Feds waste so much money and then complain and we the taxpayers pick up the tab !

• K HoggardK Hoggard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do think that the law is backwards and needs to be changed. R ight here in my home town people can kill people in the street, get by with rape,hold people at gun point and many other physical crimes to hurt people or kill and get a fine,short time in jail and parole.Be back out on the street to do it all over again or worse.Then you have other crimes that are not violent,no guns or knives involved or holding people against their will and give them 20+ years. We live out here having to look behind our back for the danger of the people the system allows to be on the street. I do say no to drugs and drinking,but it doesn't do any good to say no to someone who will hurt you or kill you to get what they want. Stay out of these peoples way or else.

Some ppl shouldnt even be in jail to start with. 3 ppl hate you, have it out for you...they "write" on you, and your gone! Doesnt matter if it's lies...your gone! Have friend who got 20+ years, with cuts 16....been to court with them, read it all...so YES it does happen!!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base